Friday, November 12, 2010

Successful Outings with a Large Family- Part Two

Mom, can I have this, puh-leeeeeeeease?!

I need it!!!!!

I want it!!!!!

Waaaaaahhhhh!!!!!

Ugh, my head hurts just thinking about this!  I think every child is going to ask for things at times.  They don’t understand the value of a dollar (or $50, for that matter), they don’t understand a budget, etc.  But I definitely cannot handle my kids asking for stuff every time we go to the store!  We certainly discuss how to be good stewards of the funds God has given us, how to choose to spend wisely, and the like, but when it comes down to it, I employ this next strategy to keep the “Can I haves” and “I wants” at bay.

Tip Number Two for a Successful Large Family Outing:

DEFINE THE TRIP’S PURPOSE

Before we go into the store, I tell my kids exactly what we are looking for, and I tell them that we are not buying them anything.  I like to give them things on my list to look for, and I try to let them make choices whenever possible.  For example, if I know I am going to buy juice, I’ll allow Jackson to choose what kind we get.  I find that giving them a job and a purpose gives them less reason to focus on the things they want. 

Sometimes, I am able to get them a treat (whatever it may be), and I also try to tell them that up front.  I prefer to tell them beforehand, again, to make expectations clear. 

Nothing too earth-shattering here, I know!  It used to be easy to make a run to Wal-mart for a few things, and let them browse the toy section for a while.  It’s not so easy to do that now, especially with twin 2 year-olds!  Now, I am asking for trouble if I don’t make myself clear from the beginning!

BTW, this is extra effective if you make the occasional trip that’s just for fun with few expectations!

1 comment:

  1. We only visit the toy aisle when someone has money to spend, otherwise, it just seems to make the children discontent. Since we don't watch tv, they don't know what's out there in toy land, so they don't ask to go there. I decided when my oldest (who is now 26!) was two years old that I would teach my children to not ask for anything in the store. They can make inquiries at home or on the way to the store, but I wouldn't be able to think if 9 children were asking for stuff while I'm shopping.

    I do like to take the birthday child out alone to "toy land" as a special treat to spend their birthday money (from grandparents). This is fun time for me to spend with them :)

    ReplyDelete