Sunday, July 18, 2010

The Nightwatch

 

100_3055[1]

Do you ever wonder what is going on in your children’s brains?  Every now and then, I really scratched my head wondering where they come up with this stuff.  Take, for example, the above scene.

Let’s start with the background; if you look closely, you can see part of a little head.  That’s McAwesome- comfy and cozy on the floor.  Yes, that’s right, the floor.  I wish I could tell you that he’s the only one on the floor, but, no.  Hero is sleeping on the floor as well.  I also wish I could tell you that it’s just the boys there, but, no again!  Sweetheart Girl joins her big brothers on their floor. 

And there they sleep…every night…These kids have perfectly wonderful beds, but for some reason they prefer to camp out on the floor.  Every night they pull down the blankets and pillows from their beds, and every morning (okay, almost every morning) they put them back on.  I personally think this act alone would get very old, very quickly.

I suppose I ought to start making them sleep in their beds, but they’re happy enough!  They get a full night’s sleep, they don’t seem stiff and sore the next day (young bodies!), and I figure someday, they won’t want to do this sort of thing together.  So for now, I’ve decided to let it go.

So tonight, as I walk down the hallway, I see these two animals at the doorway.  I guess I’ll have to wait till morning to ask what their purpose is:  Are they ‘guard dogs?’  Did you want Mom and Dad to think you were funny?  Maybe you were just bored?

I don’t even have to ask who did it- That has McAwesome written all over it.

Lastly, the Shrek.  *SIGH*  How this animal(?) came into our possession is a story I won’t go into now, but suffice it to say, despite my disdain for the movies, Shrek is likely to be a permanent fixture around here for a while.  This thing has been loved on, slept with, kicked around, and even chewed on by more than one kid!  It has been a crash test dummy for the boys’ made-up games, a karate sparring partner, and a good-old-fashioned punching bag.  It’s been a tea party guest and a makeshift tissue (gross!), and who knows what else poor Shrek will be in the future!? 

But, tonight, he’s the nightwatch.

1 comment:

  1. Update: I was totally WRONG! It wasn't Jackson, it was Luke! He wanted to trick me and make me think they were really sitting there all by themselves. Kids!!!!

    ReplyDelete