Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Kitchen Sink


So this weekend, my family is taking a little trip to Show Low.  Hubby is going to preach at a church on Sunday, and we're going to stay at my aunt's and uncle's house until Monday morning.  Today is Thursday, we're not leaving until tomorrow after school (I'm going on a field trip with Jack!), and so the packing has begun.

When did packing become an all-day affair??  It's one weekend!  True, there's now eight of us, but, really, do we go through that much stuff in 3 days?!  I consider myself a light packer- I don't pack extra outfits (I'll do laundry if I have to), I bring similar colors (cut down on shoes, jewelry, hair stuff, etc.), and I share suitcases (no, each child doesn't get his own!).  

Of course, we have babies, so that means bottles, burp cloths, diapers (lots!  3 kids' worth!), a pack n play...And traveling through a Sunday means packing all the church-going things.  I guess dresses, ties, and fancy shoes take up a lot of space!  

But here's what I'm not bringing:  our pillows, stuffed animals that are slept with, toys, more than two sippy cups (for the twins), more than 2 bottles, multi types of hair accessories for the girls, and extra blankets.

And yet, it seems that our poor minivan is going to be struggling to get up through those mountains.  The Salt River Canyon will be echoing with the sounds of "I think I can!  I think I can!"  And when we open the doors upon arrival, I'm picturing a mini-explosion (snakes in a can, anyone?).

So, is this just how it's going to be from here on out?  Do any of you have any extra tips for keeping the kitchen sink from going along for the ride?

No comments:

Post a Comment